November 20, 2008

Appointment Update

Both good and bad news I guess, but all in all a good day!

Found out that I have been taking my Thyroid meds for nothing-possibly-for the last 3 years. Kind of disheartening that it could happen, but he said Iam a special case. Feels it was Post Pardum Thyroiditis, but when we tested I was low, but my body was trying to bring it back to normal, so every time afterwards we tested it it was off. SO, we bumped up doseages for no reason at all. Just a vicious cycle every 6-8 months!

I can't quit cold turkey though. My pituitary gland has been dormant for too long and would probably freak out if it had to work in overdrive all of a sudden to help produce the needed TSH, so we are going to slowly come off of the Levothyroxine. I am at 100 mcg now, going to 50 mcg tomorrow. We tested the T3, T4 and TSH all today and will have a baseline to go off of. Then I retest in Januray, March and July and come back to see Doc in November again unless something comes up.

In the meantime...I will feel very crappy for the next 2-3 months while my body tries to get back to normal, but the good news is that I should have a ton of energy back within 6 months. He said it is possible that in 1 year I will look totally different as the weight should start coming off more easily. I have been fighting my own body by taking my meds...Go figure!

I am really excited to get some energy, but it will be hard. I need to take "strolls" for 30 minutes/day 5x per week. Not too bad to do, but he said my energy is going to be zapped and it will be very hard to keep up. I think by having him say I "Have to do this" I think I will, rather than just my nagging voice saying it in my head.

It was really eye opening and I feel better now. Dr. Sorli was awesome---He even drew me pics and diagrams. LOL He spent a good 30-45 mins. with me, so it was good to get all my concerns out. He said he is hoping to give us the go ahead for even thinking about conceiving another child by March, but we will see. It isn't a huge deal right now anyways, but we were looking at not being able to have anymore due to all of this unless we did fertility treatments, so that is good news too. It's a long road, but at least it is a road and not some invisible path I'm blindly trying to follow. I feel better about it all and am hoping to tackle this head on! Support is always good, so anybody that has anything to say at any time would be greatly appreciated! In the long run, this is good!
Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts today....it was great knowing so many were thinking of me today--THANK YOU!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I will be praying for you. I am so glad the doctor could give you some help. I know it will be tough for awhile but won't it be great to have control over your body again.

Love,
Patty

Jessica said...

It will be wonderful...just wish I would have done the referral sooner like I was thinking back in March. Oh well, you live and learn I guess!
Thank you for the prayers--it really helps!
~~J

The Farmer's Wife said...

Sometimes it's just good to know that there really IS something wrong, that it's not all in your head and that there is a plan of action you can follow! I hate not knowing. And you'll do great. If you have to be without energy, this is the time of year to do it...everyone shuts down a little in the winter, so you will just be like the rest of us slugs!
Have a good weekend, girl.

Marisa said...

Want a "strolling" partner? Only, I'm not available until about 5p.m., when it's dark out! Glad you have a plan!

Natalie said...

We will be praying for you. I hope your body is back to "normal" in no time!
Love, Natalie